1. Painting a house is really hard! When I bought the place, everything was white! Talk about boring! My years of Pinterest standards began to surface. "Let's paint the whole house!" WORST IDEA EVER! Painting takes forever! We worked on it every. single. day. It was exhausting and we aren't even done. But that isn't even the worst of it! Picking paint colors is way harder than you would think. It took three, yes, three times to get the right color in the master bedroom. At least I had some eye candy to keep me going! #BabyGotBack.
2. If you decide to paint, get quart sizes to test color. Are you in a hurry to move in? Want to buy all the paint at once? Take a breath and be smart. Learn from my mistake. I bought gallons of paint based on a single paint chip, only to find that I HATED the color once it was on the wall. Wanna know what would have saved me tons of time and money? Simply investing in a small amount of paint and time by testing paint before jumping in with both feet. Get the quart size first. Please. I am begging you. For the sake of your sanity and wallet, get the quart size.
3. Houses are money black holes. First, out of my own stupidity, I wasted a butt load of money on terrible paint colors. But there are also unavoidable expenses. Days after signing the final papers, the garage door spring broke. There goes $200 to fix it. Not to mention the various appliances and yard tools you need to invest in to keep the place presentable.
4. Neighbors are a weird breed. Some are distant. Some are friendly. Some are walk-into-your-house-unannounced-bearing-fresh-veggies friendly. It is something you need to get used to.
5. You instantly turn into an old person once you own a home. Wanna know how my boyfriend and I spent last evening? Sitting in patio chairs side-by-side in our sun room reading books. Wow.
But overall, I LOVE owning a home. And it is so much better sharing it with the people I love.